Home made tofu is easy, cheap and really tasty. Its texture is softer, more delicate. Tofu is used extensively in plant based cooking. You can fry it and add to a stir-fry, make vegan “scrambled eggs” with it or eat it on a slice of home baked bread (delicious!).
Here’s how to make it.
What you need:
- Home made soya milk (at least 2l)
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- a sieve
- cheese cloth
- Heat up your soya milk to the point that it’s really hot but not boiling and take off the hob
- Add lemon juice and stir gently. The milk will coagulate – this is exactly what you want
- Pour the coagulated milk through a cheese cloth
- wrap the tofu in the cheese cloth and leave on the sieve
- Press the fresh tofu warped in the cheese cloth with something heavy (I use a small bowl filled with water) and leave for a couple of hours
- Gently unwrapped the tofu from the cheese cloth and put to a sealed container
- Add fresh cold water. This will help your tofu to firm up more.
Done 🙂 you can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.